Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Everything that happens

Yesterday, I worked. Then I mowed the lawn. Then, I cooked dinner. I went to bed early. I slept in today (6:30). I took my car for an oil change this morning. I'm working again today. No workouts since yesterday morning.

Tonight, I'll run 8 miles, 5 at marathon pace. Then, I'll go to my son's soccer scrimmage. Cook dinner. Go to bed.

Such is life.

David Byrne and Brian Eno released an amazing album in 1981, titled My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. They recorded it during a period of time when Eno was producing some work for Talking Heads.

Last week, they released a new album (sorry, I'm old enough that I still use vinyl, buy vinyl and call music releases albums) called Everything That Happens Will Happen Today. Right now, it's available only as a download. So far, I'm very impressed with the release and I'm hoping to see David Byrne in concert in Albany on November 5th.

The title song from the album has the following lines:

Everything that happens will happen today
& nothing has changed, but nothing’s the same
and ev’ry tomorrow could be yesterday
&and ev’rything that happens will happen today

That pretty much sums up my yesterday and today. No complaints. Life is good and keeps moving forward. Sometimes, I think we forget to appreciate the seemingly mundane and uneventful days that we're alive.

1 comment:

Tania said...

Yes, enjoying mundane and just being alive does not go with us OCD folks. I know what you mean....I have to say that when I was pacing at the VT 100 I truly just enjoyed being alive for those 10 hours. THat is what I love about running. But it is when you cannot run even that enjoying the mundane and being alive is really hard.