Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Two weeks and counting

It's been two weeks since my last formal workout. It's been almost a month since I last ran. I did ski two weekends ago, but that's not really a workout when I'm teaching.

I'm still not going to work out today. I'm taking codeine just so I can make it through the day without hacking up a lung. This is really getting old.

It's not uncommon for me to catch a cold during the winter. My winters are usually pretty intense - ski instruction on the weekends, early morning treadmill runs during the week, lifting after work, my job, my family, etc. But, this winter has not been as stressful. I will admit that work has been stressful, but my workouts have been limited to one per day, no really early mornings, plenty of sleep, etc. I did have one week where I skied 7 of 9 days, and 3 of those days were fairly intense skiing where I was the student rather than the teacher. But, overall, it's been a lower stress winter than most.

And yet, I'm sick again. I imagine that having asthma, even mild asthma, may predispose me to lung problems. My son has a history of prolonged illnesses in the winter and his doctor has suggested that it might be related to us using wood to heat our house in the winter. The wood stove puts some fine particulate matter in the air, the house is locked up tightly in the winter, and the air in the house is very dry.

I don't know what the deal is, but I want to get back to working out. I want to run. I want to lift. I want to go snowshoeing. I want to go skiing. But, I'm afraid that if I jump right back into all of those things, I'm going to be sick for the rest of the winter.

The only good thing about being sick is it gives fodder for whining on my blog...

1 comment:

Speed Racer said...

And isn't whining fun?! I hope you feel better soon. As obvious as it may be, your body's just telling you it needs the rest, right? Better to be sick in February than in June. And maybe the forced rest is just what you need to set the foundation for a breakthrough season. Feel better!